My Painting Project
Principle 3 from 21 Principles
by Richard G Scott
(see August 2013 blog posts for more info on principle 3)
So I didn't post 'day 1' because I wasn't that happy with it yet, but now it is coming along. I have watercolored a lot, but oil is really different. Day 1 was all wet on wet and trying to figure out how to work with opaque paint. All of my technique for watercolor went out the door. Day 2: I did some glazing and blocked the hands. I had an easier time with the wet today and the glazing is just like watercolor! hurray! I know what I'm doing. Maybe I can figure this out. Still need to block in the flower, do detail on the hair and eyes and do some more glazing. This is just a practice piece before I try the one in my mind that I really want to do. This is a picture I took of Rachel, my daughter, when she was 2 years old.
While talking on the phone the other night I finished the flower and started to work on the hair on the right hand side. I quit because I need a smaller liner brush and something to thin the paint a bit. Plus it's hard to paint above the wet flower. I need to let it dry fro several days now.
More work on the hair and glazing on the face and chest. Softening the hands and dress. It needs more dry time before I can finish the glazing. This has been fun/ frustrating. The perfectionist in me wants it to be perfect right now, but I know that I have lots and lots of future hours to put in so I can learn all of the things I need to. Thanks so much to my awesome teacher!