Thursday, May 29, 2014

My search for Peace…

Written May 23, 2014

My search for Peace…



Peace… isn’t that what everyone is craving deep in their souls?  

I’m not talking about ‘world peace’ or the ‘peace movement of the 1970’s.'  I’m talking about this inner peace that allows us to be still and not distraught when the storms of life rage around us.  It’s that inner peace of conscious that we get when we know our life is on the right path and we are doing good things.

It doesn’t matter who you are or what you are going through, that is what we all long  to have…

How do you find peace 
especially when your world is upside down?  

Everyone has an answer and I have tried them many of them…

Some are band-aids… temporary distractions to the problems of life.  They don’t bring lasting peace… just a cocktail of temporary forgetfulness

Real peace comes from a power greater than ourselves.  For me, I say that it comes from God.  It is a gift from Him when we seek to align our life with His plan and His will.

My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.” (John 14:26-27)

So I showed my house yesterday, twice to the same couple… We have only had one other showing since January and I had pretty much decided that it wasn’t going to sell this year, and I was okay with that.  I had a plan for remaining put for another year and I could see advantages in that plan.

So now what?  God is trying to tell me not to plan again!  
"Trust me," He says "and it will all be okay."
Hmmmm…. Maybe this is another test for me? 

Last year at every showing I would run around frazzled trying to get everything perfect.  My patience was limited.  My thoughts were swirling with future ‘what if’s.’  I was a major basket case.  I was NOT at PEACE.

This time… surprisingly not so!  WOW!  Maybe I am learning  something through all of this! 

I am SO AT PEACE

Not because I think it will sell…

Not because I think it won’t…

Not because I have a plan of what to do either way.

Not because I think He will make it easy for me.

I am at PEACE because I know that whatever happens, I will follow God’s plan for me and it will all be okay, and that plan will be what is best for me in the long run. 

He will let me know what to do when I need to do it, and it’s okay that I don’t have all of those answers now because I am no longer afraid that they won’t come.  

I think part of my need to ‘plan’ so much was my attempt to create my own personal security net.  I think I really did not have faith and trust that God would take care of me, so I felt that I needed to have a back-up plan just in case.  

Now, I’m not saying don’t set goals and have plans.  We should not procrastinate our lives away, and we should take preliminary steps for the future. 

What I am saying is that it is important to be flexible and to listen to the direction of the Spirit.  When God puts up ROAD BLOCKS and says “STOP… NEW ROAD.”  Then we need to be able to set our wants and plans and desires aside in favor of His.

I think about how often my husband would come home from work an announce, “Let’s go out to dinner!” Immediately I would become frazzled because the change of plan messed up my half-done dinner.  To keep the peace, my husband dropped the idea of going out to dinner.  Instead of enjoying a night out relaxing and talking with my kids and husband, I spent it cooped up in the kitchen making and cleaning up dinner.  I can see now that I missed out on some valuable experiences just because they didn’t conform to my plan.

Trusting God gives me peace.

That peace enables me to better...
  •           Submit to His will
  •       Bear my burdens
  •       Endure with perspective and patience
  •       Not shrink away from what God wants me to do


Right now I’m headed out of town for the weekend to spend with family.  I haven’t heard back about an offer yet and I’m just not going to even worry about it.  I am letting it go…  God will take care of it all.  I’m going to focus on my kids and the things I know He wants me to do. 

There is too much to do and learn to waste it is fretting about the future.

I think I will write more on how to trust God tomorrow, along with the house update, so look for that 


No comments:

Post a Comment