Monday, November 24, 2014

The Attitude of Being Grateful in all Things, Even in the Hard Times

The Attitude of Being Grateful in all Things,
 Even in the Hard Times


The holidays are always a difficult time of year for those who have suffered loss.  It is so easy to go to the past and to think of happier days, focus on the loss, and spiral downward in self-pity.  This quote came to my inbox yesterday and it reminded me of an important principle...
"It's easy to be grateful for things when life seems to be going our way.  But what then of those times when what we wish for seems to be far out of reach?  Could I suggest that we see gratitude as a disposition, a way of life that stands independent of our current situation?  In other words, I'm suggesting that instead of being thankful for things, we focus on being thankful in our circumstances- whatever they may be." - Dieter F Uchtdorf
I can choose my disposition.  
I can choose my attitude.  
I can choose my focus.


Even though my life is not the picture perfect one that I long to have, I can find things to be thankful for.  When I focus on those things or my blessings, then I view life in a new perspective.  The gray of the day seems to wash away.  Things are clearer and I can find pockets of joy again. 

Here is a little snip-it from that same talk.  I love how he talks about putting down the goblet of bitterness in favor of the goblet of gratitude...



When I choose to be grateful, I find that sweet drink that is full of healing, peace and understanding. 

Is this easy to do in the beginning?
NO, OF COURSE NOT!
But, in the end IT IS SO MUCH EASIER.

That choice makes a huge difference every day that I make it, and the days that I don't are much harder to deal with.  

The challenge then is to find things to be grateful for everyday, not just around Thanksgiving.  In so doing we will free ourselves of many burdens and gain strength to reach out and do good in this world.  

Share some things that you are thankful for...

No comments:

Post a Comment