Saturday, September 6, 2014

Faith is a choice

Faith is a choice. 


Specifically, faith is a choice to believe and then to act upon that belief in the face of uncertainty without the perfect knowledge of the outcome.  Faith is TRUSTING that even though I don’t know the outcome, that God does and that HIS PLAN is BETTER than MY CURRENT PLAN.
“Be aware that faith is not a free gift given without thought, desire, or effort. It does not come as the dew falls from heaven. The Savior said, “Come unto me” (Matthew 11:28) and “Knock, and it shall be [given] you” (Matthew 7:7). These are action verbs—come, knock. They are choices. So I say, choose faith. Choose faith over doubt, choose faith over fear, choose faith over the unknown and the unseen, and choose faith over pessimism.”- Richard Edgley
If I know this to be true…

Why do I still have problems with being fearful at times? 
I believe it is because it is easier for me to believe more strongly in the things I physically see and hear and am currently experiencing than it is to trust in things that are not seen by physical eyes.
In Hebrews 11:1 it defines faith,Now faith is the substance (foundation) of things hoped for, the evidence (proof) of things not seen.’ 
To trust in things that I cannot see is very hard to do.
  


Even the prophets have struggled with this…  In Matt 14:31 Peter when he was walking on the water began to sink. 
31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
 So even Peter let fear creep in because of present circumstances...
In Luke 17:5  the apostles said unto the Lord, “Increase our faith.” 
This is a great example to me because it show me that when I feel fear, it is appropriate to pray and ask the Lord to increase my faith.  


I do not have to do it alone.  

If I will humble myself and turn to Him in meekness and ASK it will be given me. 
o   It is important to remember that Faith is a principle of action. The answers to prayer and the solutions to our problems generally come as we begin to act, not while we are on our knees praying.
Increased faith is a spiritual gift that can be given to us through the Grace of Christ if we will ASK and ACT 

So this is what the process looks like… 

Everyday, and sometimes every moment of the day, I must consciously choose again and again to believe, to REMEMBER, to hope, to have faith and to ACT on that faith,  living the commandments and following the Holy Spirit. 

I have to remind myself constantly to choose faith and keep choosing faith in the face of realities that seem to contradict it and to do that for as long as it takes. 


THIS IS what is meant by ..THE TRIAL OF OUR FAITH 


THIS IS HOW OUR FAITH GETS STRONGER
· 

No comments:

Post a Comment