Wednesday, January 29, 2014

New Resolve

New Resolve



Everyone is about New Years Resolutions, and most of the time by now everyone is petering out and feeling discouraged.  Well, it's regrouping time!  Don't waste the year waiting for another January.  So how do we regain our lost resolve?  Let me share a personal experience and our morning devotional.

For the last year I have known that I needed to go on a diet and lose the weight I put on when Scott died.  No, I'm not horribly overweight, but I know that I have lost control in this arena of my life.  When Scott died I just emotionally gave up and eating became my vice.  Every week I would say, "this week I will start my diet.  I know how to loose weight and I've done it before so this should be easy, right?" 

BIG FAT WRONG!

I would make it through a day and be good and then the next day something stressful would happen and I would go right back to the sweets.  I would go down a pound or two and then back up.  I kept telling myself that I was going to be serious. 

But I was getting no where. Why?

Because I wasn't completely committed or resolved.  After all, what's the point... Who is there to impress? 

So after my trip to Utah the beginning of January I said, "No more wishy washy!" No more estimating calories and sneeking extra handfuls of chocolate chips everytime I go to the pantry.  I've got to keep track of my calories and write them down. When I'm up for the day, I'm done eating.  I have to find someone to be accountable to, because I'm not doing this well on my own. 

So I've been pretty good.

perfect?

No. 

In fact I ate chocolate chips yesterday :( , but today I'm back at it.  The scale went back up a
little, but I'm still down 7 lbs so I going to make my resolve and be on track tomorrow.  I'm only going to worry about tomorrow- not the whole week,  just tomorrow.  I can do 1 day.  

You just have to decide what you are going to do and do it.  Remember,  you only have to do one day at a time.  Just focus on one day... Don't think a year, don't think a month, just 1 day.  If you fall a little bit then repent, look at your game plan again, figure out where the hole is and how you are going to tackle it the next day.  

Be a watchman for your thoughts and have a plan to get rid of the bad ones.  Our battles really are not physical, they are mental.  Every action starts with a thought.  If we gain control of our minds then we can win the battle before it even begins to get physical.


Agency, or the ability to act for ourselves, is a key component in our development.  God says that he has given us all of the necessary or 'expedient' tools which we need to do this successfully. So even if we struggle to choose light over darkness, do not give up!  Satan wants us to think we are not capable of change so we will quit trying.  God knows we are because he endowed us with those abilities, and his grace will endow us with more power if we CHOOSE to be couragous and act.

"Look to the great Mediator" or Christ for that enabling power.  'Heaken' or LISTEN and DO what he asks us.  CHOOSE to DO IT. Use your spirit to regain control.  Satan tells us to listen to the "flesh' or the natural man.  He says we have to do whatever our thoughts command us to do.  He tells us we have no choice, that we are the way we are.

God says, quit being acted upon by every stray thought that pops in your mind.  Be a watchman of those thoughts and choose to be in the driver seat of your body.  Don't let your body hijack your spirit.  Use your spirit and your agency and gain control.

I testify that as we use our agency to choose light that we will be filled with light.  Our capacity to choose right will be increased and those things that are so difficult now will become easier and easier to do if we simply get in the habit of doing them.  "Satan has no power over a determined righteous individual."- Richard G Scott.  He only gets the power we grant him.

Take one day at a time.  Do not let Satan overwhelm you with the whole task.  Be 'present'  today, be resolved today.  You can do anything for one day!  If you slip then repent, look at your game plan again, figure out where the hole is and how you are going to fix it.  Then start your resolve with the new day.  Day by day, bit by bit we can regain control.

P.S.  I've learned I can't make cookies when I'm on a diet- no self control there, so no more cookie making :)

Here is the scripture that started this thought this morning...

2 NEPHI 2: 26-30

26 And the Messiah cometh in the fulness of time, that he may redeem the children of men from the fall. And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon, save it be by the punishment of the law at the great and last day, according to the commandments which God hath given.

 27 Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.

 28 And now, my sons, I would that ye should look to the great Mediator, and hearken unto his great commandments; and be faithful unto his words, and choose eternal life, according to the will of his Holy Spirit;

 29 And not choose eternal death, according to the will of the flesh and the evil which is therein, which giveth the spirit of the devil power to captivate, to bring you down to hell, that he may reign over you in his own kingdom.

 30 I have spoken these few words unto you all, my sons, in the last days of my probation; and I have chosen the good part, according to the words of the prophet. And I have none other object save it be the everlasting awelfare of your souls. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment